In the Electrical and Electronic industry, the every growing technology has made it difficult for the electronics designers to be prepared to face the challenges of keeping abreast with the technologies. The rising trend of small packages like mobile phones and hand held computers have also laid pressure on the electronic component manufacturer to develop lower cost, smaller size and higher performance levels in the passive components.
With regard to this, a huge pressure is exerted on the component designers to change the structure of the Multi layer Ceramics in the EMI filter segment to achieve Insertion Loss performance levels similar to those of panel mounted devices.
EMI filters are created with the method of combining capacitors and Inductors by using the different impedance characteristics to selectively decrease the receiving of unwanted signals. The Multilayer Ceramic Filters includes Multilayer Capacitor or the Ceramic Chips. These are one of the most popular and commonly used chips in the worldwide capacitors industry. As per statistics, roughly more than 200 billion chips are produced annually, that means that at an average, 40 pieces of chips per human being are manufactured annually. Some of the reasons for their popularity have been mentioned below.
1. They are used for almost all the electronic and electrical hardware as they are compatible with the widest range of working voltages and capacitance values.
2. They claim to be the lightest as well as the smallest capacitor in terms of weight and size and their enjoy a greater volume than any other capacitor as far as their voltage configuration is concerned.
3. These Multilayer Ceramic Chips boasts of being the most reliable capacitors in the electrical and electronic components industry. Their decimal places of a F.I.T prove this fact.
4. The format on which they are manufactured are very well suited for Surface Mount applications. This means that there are no hidden costs as far as leads and encapsulation related to packaging is concerned.
5. The availability of these capacitors form a large number of manufacturers is an added bonus. These capacitors are also available at a short lead time and are also veer economical.
Multilayer Ceramics are typically characterized as per their specification. There are 3 of them namely - C0G (± 30 parts per million per -55 degree centigrade), X7R (± 15 % of -55 degrees to +125 degrees centigrade) and Y5V (+22% -82%, -30 C to +85 degrees C).
The Multilayer Technology in the Ceramic Capacitor Technology is known to be the most affordable among all the multilayer types and are used widely in the Filter applications.
Hipot testing, in the electrical testing equipment category, is that method which requires high voltage electricity testing equipment to perform the task of verifying electrical insulation in various appliances, cables and wired assemblies etc. Hipot is the abbreviation for high potential and is the test which is conducted to determine whether the insulation level of any electrical or electronic component is sufficient to protect the operator from electrical shock. They are applicable for use in printed circuit breakers and boards, electric motor and transformer as well.
This write up throws some light on the various testing measures with reference to hipot testers. While working with any electrical test equipment, it is very crucial to review the techniques employed in determining the output from potentially dangerous and complicated equipment. Following are a few safety measure that one should keep in mind while working on hipot testers, which when ignored can result in grave hazards.
1. First of all, one should be aware that the high voltage and current generated by the Hipot Tester can result in harmful electrical shocks. To avoid this make sure that the work station is configured in a well equipped with a safe test environment.
2. Performing an electrical safety test at a workstation which is bedecked with an Electro Static Discharge is a must as it is structured to carry on the electricity to scatter an electrostatic charge. This step will ensure that the employees will be prevented from experiencing uncanny shock hazards.
3. Another important safeguard is that one should install a main power shut off switch in the test station as then it will be easy to control the crisis by just switching off one switch. Also its important that this main switch is located as well as prominently market at the entrance of the workstation so that its easy to be located during contingency.
4. While conducting the hipot test remember that the hipot test done on an energized circuitry or equipment can result in damage. This is done after the testing area is set up all the operators have been trained. Following the instructions is the only way via which a person can escape calamities.
5. Keep the untrained and unqualified persons at bay from the work site and not make any unauthorized modifications on the test equipment. Always remember to avoid touching the product or connections during a test and ensure that before the you touch the connection, the equipment has been properly been removed from any current source.
Transformers, that form an important component of the electrical distribution equipment segment, is a device that is used to convert electrical energy from one circuit to another through inductively coupled conductors. They are used widely in a variety of applications like increasing voltage through long distance wires and cables in order to transmit electrical energy. This function of transformers have made it possible for the electrical power industry to pass through a series of transformers by the time it reaches the consumer.
Besides, various electronic products also use transformers for limiting their voltage supply to the level that is best suitable for the voltage circuits that they contain. They are also useful in isolating the circuits to contact with the supply voltage, electrically. The transformers in the electrical and electronic component industry are also used in the manufacturing of amplifiers, microphones and record players. It is the audio transformers that assist the telephone circuits in carrying out a two way conversation only via a single wire. They are also used widely in various differential mode signal and act instrumental in transferring signals between external cables and internal circuits.
This write up deals not only with the characteristics as well as applications of transformers, but also expedites on the various usage tips on testing these transformers. To read more please click here....